March of 2010 I decided to sign up for the Susan G Komen 3-Day for the Cure. It's a 60 mile walk where you walk approximately 20 miles a day for three days.The cheer stations were the BEST! This is at the first one on the first day - Mom, Gentry, Me, Saul and the kids (thanks Roz for the pic).
Gentry and the kids made some signs for us on Thursday, the day before the race. I love this one (I believe Sean came up with it)!
Saul and I were a team. We were walking together in honor of his wife and friend, Roz. She was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in Aug. 2009.
Thankfully, she beat it and is doing great.
We also each had others we 'walking for' - Saul's mother, my step-sister Arlene and more.

We did survive the first day and did walk all 20 miles the first day. Roz, their son, Adam and her
Dad met us at the finish - aka: Camp!We both camped the first night, but it was COLD. The temps got down into the 30's. We showered in semi's, the food was warm, the fluids were plenty, but I was sore and very tired.

I went to bed early and slept pretty good in layers and layers of clothes!Then we got up to do it all over again! My leg was hurting and I went to the Medic tent to get it taped up.
Pat was able to join us at the cheer stations on Saturday.
He brought the camera and took some pictures for me.
This is at the biggest cheer station - a mall.
The kids were home with Papa Dave napping.
By the end of day two after a van ride to lunch - I was in pain and was ready to give up.
So, Pat went to camp and loaded up my suitcase, tent (yes, they gave us the tents!), etc and met us at a pit stop farther down the path.
We took Saul back to camp and went home to rest my tired body.
Mom, Dave and Gentry all came in town for the weekend to support me and help us with the kids.It was great having them here. After I got home and relaxed in a bath - we ordered in dinner then we went to see the Veteran's Day Fireworks.
I came back home to relax while the kids stayed with Daddy and Aunt Gentry to ride the carnival rides. Then then snuggled with me on the couch.

I did head back out on the third day. I was not able to walk the entire route, but did my share and walked across the finish line to claim my t-shirt, sticker, rose and participate in closing ceremonies.

The kids with Aunt Gentry. They had a great time and were a huge support to me.

Pat just held the camera up above the crowd and took this shot - turns out Saul is on the left with his hand in the air under the flag I am next to him - but not in the shot!
! lolRoz snapped this of us walking to the car. I had more blisters than I ever thought I could. I may not have walked all 60 miles on the route, but there are so many more steps we took that didn't count!!!
Either way - I am so glad I did it! Keep praying there is a cure very soon and thanks to all who sponsored us and supported us.
I believe Saul is doing it again this year - me? I doubt it - but I will be at the cheer stations passing out Kleenex!
No comments:
Post a Comment