Saturday, October 6, 2007

Family Quilts

After my oldest niece Carly was born my Dad's side of the family started a tradition of making "family quilts" for each of my nieces and nephew. Now Aunt LaDonna (aka: Gramma Donna) is the responsible person for this wonderful tradition as she picks out the material, pattern and does the bulk of the work. However, she saves enough of the quilting and brings it to a family gathering. Then each and every family member gets to sit down and add their own stiches to it. While doing so LaDonna snaps their picture. Once completed she delivers the family quilt with a matching photo album with all the pictures showing how the family helped make the quilt for the child.






Here are pictures of our precious little ones sitting on their quilts. We love them and have put them to good use already. Sean's even has a Kansas Jayhawk in the corner of it! When LaDonna asked me what I wanted to her to make for Sean and Hadley - I requested a Mullinax Family quilt. So, thanks to all who helped with them, but especially for Aunt LaDonna for having them turn out even better than I had imagined.

Thanks also to Melissa for taking the pictures for us!

3 comments:

Peg said...

What a beautiful family tradition! The children will have them to treasure always.

Copenhaver 5 said...

What a wonderful family tradition! I am sure those quilts will be as special to Sean and Hadley as the quilt I have from my grandmother and my kids have from their grandmother.
Love
Barb

gramypop said...

what nice quilts for Sean and Hadley. They will treasure them forever.