Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Bake A Lemon Cake

The kids started getting Highlights High Five (yes, the Highlights you remember from when you were little or the dentist office) for Christmas from Grammy and Pop Keenen. The High Five version is for two to five year olds.

Each month there are Let's Do It projects. The March 2009 was Bake a Lemon Cake.


While reading it AGAIN last week I saw it and thought it looked simple enough, but we needed eggs and a lemon to do it.

So, I added those to the grocery list for our next shopping trip.

Last Tuesday I made pot roast, potatoes and carrots in the crock pot for dinner. So, after naps we needed something to do and with dinner already taken care of - I decided we would try making the cake.

Here we are with all the ingredients and things we need laid out ready to go!


Here is Hadley stirring the sugar with the eggs until the mixture is yellow (step 1).

Sean is holding the lemon patiently waiting to make juice to add to milk and mix until it is smooth (step 2).





Then we added in flour at which time Hadley got this curious look on her face and said "Mommy, flowers are outside!?"

Here is Sean mixing up the flour and baking powder until no white remains (step 3).


They both did a really good job taking turns and following my instructions.

The love to "help".

Here is the mixed up batter in the pan ready to go into the oven.


And now the finished product out of the oven, cooling and ready to eat!

So, after the pot roast dinner this was our dessert!

Hadley did not like it, but she is NOT a big dessert or cake eater (just CANDY and ice cream). The rest of us thought it wasn't too bad. It was not real lemony and would have been better with some fruit and cool whip to join it like the picture showed, but I was not prepared for.

Peggy I promise to email you the recipe soon. I had it all typed up last Wednesday and well, lost most of it. Decided to walk away.