I had planned a blog with a title - Teething?? Because late last week Sean began coughing along with the drooling and a little tugging at his right ear. I had read both of these things could be attributed to teething. Meanwhile, Hadley had developed a rash on her chin from her drool. Both were fussy from time to time and chewing on anything they can get in their mouths - especially their toes (because the can and it drives their dad crazy!).
But, Friday afternoon I discovered Sean had a low grade fever. Friday night he threw a fit like I have never seen and I said....I knew I was dreading teething, but if this is it - Oh, my goodness!!! Saturday morning at 5 am Hadley woke up coughing and had a bit of a fever most of the day. Sunday morning Mommy woke up with it and I knew we were all just plain ol' sick with a cold (and a little teething mixed in). The fevers were pretty much gone, but Sean was still pulling some at his right ear. We had been around a few 13/14 year olds the weekend before that were sick - I can only assume that is where it came from, but you never know.
Monday and Tuesday Pat was in Houston, so it was just the three of us and none of us felt that great. On Monday no matter which one I was holding - the other was crying. When Pat called to check on us - I couldn't hear him over one or both crying babies. By Tuesday afternoon I was beginning to stress over how to get to my RCIA meeting at the church. I had planned to take them with me and use the church daycare, but did not want to take sick babies in to infect the rest - nor did I think they wanted two upset little ones. Daddy called at 3pm to say he was on his way to the airport to catch an earlier flight home. So, I called Nishi and had her and a friend come over for about an hour for me to get to church and Pat get home from the airport.
Hadley went to bed and missed her bedtime bottle on Sunday night and Sean missed his last night. This morning he tossed another fit and I had no idea why. He was not tired or hungry and I was trying to change his pants when he began throwing it (because I laid him down - I now know), so I called for a doctor's appointment to find out what is wrong with my happy boy. And as the title says - he has his first ear infection. So, he is now on antibiotics. Hadley's ears were clear. I did not make her an appointment, but after they diagnosed him I asked them to check her. So, the last several days have been a little crazy around here. Due to that I have not posted as I wanted or taken some pictures I wanted, but that's the way it goes around here.
Hope to have their six month portraits in tomorrow. Will try to post a few before we head north to my Dad's for the holiday weekend. Hope you are all healthy and getting into the swing of things for back to school!
1 comment:
Poor baby! Ear infections are so difficult to parents to detect. I can't tell you how many times I have taken my girls to the doctor to be checked for ear infections because they were extra fussy. Sometimes they had them and sometimes they didn't. After we got back from Florida, I purchased an otoscope so I can look in their ears myself without making a trip to the doctor everytime. I have not had to use it yet, but I wish I had it 3 years ago. :) Hope Sean's feeling better soon. Have a great trip this weekend!
Emily Adler
Post a Comment